Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo Puyat (PNA file photo)

MANILA — The Department of Tourism (DOT) on Friday welcomed Washington’s rescission of notice regarding the security conditions at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA), saying this sits well with the government’s bid to attract more tourists to the country.

“We, at DOT, are very elated and encouraged by this development as we renew our commitment to extend to the public, particularly our international visitors, the highest potentials of the Filipino brand of service,” Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat said in a statement.

“This development also augurs well for the DOT’s efforts to increase tourist arrivals and for the development of a culture of resilient, inclusive, and sustainable tourism in the country,” she added.

The United States Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has decided to clear the NAIA of “security defects”, leading the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to rescind its public advisory concerning security concerns there.

The DOT said efforts to improve NAIA’s security measures were exerted by the government since the DHS issued its advisory in December 2018.

“The Department of Transportation (DOTr) and the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) implemented security improvements and enhancements to upgrade to international aviation security standards with the assistance of the TSA experts,” the DOT said.

Although the notice had been lifted, the DOT said the TSA would continue conducting an analysis of NAIA’s security operations, maintenance, and infrastructure.

Romulo-Puyat lauded the DOTr and MIAA for undertaking corrective measures to seriously address security issues raised by the TSA leading to the DHS advisory. (PNA)