MANILA – No Filipino has so far been reported infected by the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) in South Korea, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said, as the East Asian nation raised its virus alert to the highest level on Sunday.

“The Korean government has raised its Covid-19 alert level to its highest, red, due to the recent spike in confirmed community infections. Korea PE (Philippine Embassy) says there are no Filipinos affected by the Covid-19 outbreak so far,” DFA Undersecretary Brigido Dulay said in a statement.

The official assured that the Philippine Embassy in Korea is monitoring the situation and coordinating with Filipino community leaders in the country, including those in the hardest-hit Daegu City.

The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported the country’s fifth death from Covid-19 on Sunday with the total confirmed cases reaching 602.

Yonhap News Agency reported that President Moon Jae-in raised the country’s disease alert by one notch to the highest level in response to the rising number of Covid-19 deaths and infection.

“The Covid-19 incident has been confronted by a grave watershed… a few days from now is a very important moment,” the news agency quoted the South Korean leader as saying. (PNA)